Skip to Main Content Back to Top Let's Talk
Home Blog RV liability insurance: Protection on and off the road

RV liability insurance: Protection on and off the road

An idyllic photo of a young loving couple camping in nature with their dog
Higginbotham H logo

An RV is both a vehicle and a vacation home and while this dual usage makes it a practical option for those who want to explore on the open road, it can also create an insurance conundrum. If something goes wrong, what type of insurance will you need? Although auto insurance may offer coverage for incidents that happen on the road, you’ll likely need specialized RV insurance to help protect your motorhome.

What is RV liability insurance?

RV liability insurance can provide coverage for damages or injuries caused by you to other people or their property while operating your motorhome. RV liability insurance typically provides two types of coverage:

  • Bodily injury liability coverage for third-party claims involving bodily injuries and medical costs: for example, if a guest falls while visiting your RV.
  • Property damage liability coverage for third-party claims involving property damage: for example, if you accidentally damage another camper’s property.

Is RV insurance a requirement?

State law typically requires drivers to have auto insurance. Depending on the state, this may apply to RVs and other motor vehicles.

For example, in Texas, drivers must maintain auto liability insurance with at least $30,000 for injuries per person, $60,000 for injuries per accident, and $25,000 for property damage, according to the Texas Department of Insurance. These Texas auto insurance requirements can apply to RVs and other types of motor vehicles.

While RV liability coverage isn’t always legally required, it can provide essential financial protection that shouldn’t be overlooked.

Potential RV Insurance Coverages

Since RVs are a vehicle and a home in one, they may require insurance associated with both vehicles and homes. This could include coverages such as:

  • Auto liability insurance: If you drive your RV, you’ll likely need to meet your state’s auto liability insurance requirements. Your RV liability policy can help with claims that occur on the road, such as if you rear-end another vehicle.
  • Trailer insurance: If you have a travel trailer, you may need to have coverage for when it’s parked. Your auto insurance policy may cover it on the road, but you’ll need to check with your insurance broker to make sure.
  • Collision and comprehensive insurance: Your RV is a significant investment. Unfortunately, accidents happen. If you crash into another vehicle, collide with a tree, tip over or suffer another mishap, your RV may require expensive repairs or could even be totaled. Because of the high costs associated with RV repair and replacement, you may need separate insurance coverage for these risks.
  • Personal property insurance: You may have expensive items in your RV, from hiking and camping equipment to clothes and shoes. If anything happens to your RV, your belongings could be damaged or destroyed. Comprehensive and collision insurance does not provide coverage for personal belongings inside a vehicle, but homeowners’ insurance often does. Since an RV often contains more personal belongings than those in a typical car, it’s important to speak with your insurance broker to make sure your belongings are protected.
  • Full-time RV coverage: If you live in your RV, you likely need full-timers RV coverage. Although the exact definition of full-time usage can vary, most insurance carriers will consider you to be a full-time RV user if you live in your RV for more than six months of the year.
  • RV vacation liability insurance: Unlike a standard RV policy, vacation liability insurance can provide you with coverage when your RV is parked at a designated campsite. If someone is injured inside or near your RV while it’s parked, vacation liability insurance can help cover expenses associated with damages, injuries and even legal fees in the case of a lawsuit. You can think of it as vacation homeowners’ insurance that provides added liability coverage for your motor home.

Do you need RV liability insurance?

There’s a lot to consider when insuring your RV, and many RV owners overlook the importance of insurance coverage that’s specific to their motorhome. At Higginbotham, our personal insurance brokers can review your existing policies and help you secure the RV insurance coverage you need. Get in touch with a member of our team and experience the difference when you have an insurance broker who cares.

Not sure where to start? Talk to someone who wants to listen.

A great plan starts with a conversation. Let’s talk about what you need.

Let’s Talk

Request a Quote

Woman looking sideways to window in design office
Higginbotham H logo